NTL BB set top box- setting up a network

conquistador 21:02 06 Apr 05

Hi can anyone give me guidance, i have NTL BB through a set top box which feeds the internet into my pc through an act/link (blue box) which turns the ethernet cable into a usb cable. I have a network card in my main pc which has windows xp installed, i want to feed the internet to my sons computer,also windows xp, i have put a network card into it and bought a cross over cable. Can anyone guide me from here at all please.I have been told that doing it this way means if my son wants to use his pc that mine has to be switched on, is there a way where i can get around this.

timeteam2004 08:27 07 Apr 05

I run 3 PC's in the house on a wireless router. Just plug the cable from the STB into the router and get three wireless pci cards and you are up and running. Simple fast and effective.

Yoda Knight 08:42 07 Apr 05

If you have already run the cable or dont want to fork out for timeteam2004s' solution, you could buy a cheap ethernet hub. Think of this as a 3-way(or more) splitter for ethernet (or usb)cables. This way your pc would not have to stay on (although obviously the hub would)

JonnyTub 08:45 07 Apr 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…