NTL ADSL & Linksys WAG54GS

g0slp 09:34 04 Nov 06

I got a Linksys WAG54GS from PCW yesterday - nice bit of kit. Good price at present too.

I disconnected my existing ADSL modem (USB type)& set up the router; all went well & I got reestablished on the Net. I then started setting up the network side of the router. For some reason I didn't seem to be able to get this operational, but I'm not too worried about this at present, because the Internet connection has failed & I need to get this sorted out first.

I'm back on the old modem for now, but would appreciate any advice on where I've gone wrong. I've already tried to do a reinstall, but with no luck. I'm certain it's operator error (!), but what? I've got NTL's (limited) notes; no specified DNS server, no cloned MAC address, the IP Address is dynamic.

Any useful help/hints offered will be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

dms05 10:39 04 Nov 06

Can you confirm you are using a standard ADSL copper wire connection and not a NTL cable connection? They need different equipment. The Linksys WAG54GS is a standard ADSL modem router.

Take a look at another thread on this forum click here

g0slp 10:59 04 Nov 06

Hi dms05

Yes, it's the ADSL kit that I've got. As I say, I did get it going, but for some reason it then stopped...

g0slp 14:02 04 Nov 06

Well, I've managed to get Internet access again, although I haven't a definite reason as to why that should be so. (I did a System Restore to the point just after I did the initial installation).

Next problem is that I can't get wireless connection to another computer - it says that it's connected to the router, but not the 'Net?

Will tick this one as resolved & see if anything comes to light with this next problem. Linksys' site isn't helping (yet).

Strawballs 18:02 04 Nov 06

It could be a firewall problem

g0slp 22:38 04 Nov 06

Strawballs

Thanks for your interest. I suspected that too, but it still wouldn't link up after disabling. (Not the best solution, I know!)> Anyway, it didn't do the trick, so firewall reactivated & fired off an email to Linksys. Reply promised by Monday, so we'll see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…