NTL and AdAware Update Download Delays

PaulB2005 10:41 20 Nov 05

I've seen mentioned here a few times a problem with NTL customers not getting Adaware updates until they are 3-4 days old.

Today i found the text below on another website regarding GATSO databases for GPS systems.

"Unfortunately a few ISPs (e.g. NTL) use Inktomi cache servers, which means that some users of those ISPs will have to wait a while for the cache to be updated or ask someone to email you the latest update. By the way, NTL have configured their Inktomi servers to refresh after a period of between 12 and 24hrs so they will update eventually! However, from August 2005 we have changed the name of the download file to include the month and year of release so as to stop any Proxy and Caching issues that some users have experienced. "

Can anyone put this in more layman's terms?

I understand what it's saying but why does it explain the 3-4 day delay? Why would an ISP use such a cache? Why do some use it and others don't? Why does it affect some downloads and not others - surely all NTL customers can't be 4 days behind on their AV updates too so why Adware and not anti virus? Does it have something to do with the filenames? "we have changed the name of the download file to include the month and year of release" and AdAware files are always the same - defs.zip or defs.ref? Does that explain the caching?

So for the questions - i feel so close to understanding but somethings not clicking!

PaulB2005 10:41 20 Nov 05

= Sorry for the questions

Skyver 10:51 20 Nov 05

Explanation here, perhaps some tweaks to try too click here

PaulB2005 19:24 22 Nov 05

A bit too much info there. I noticed another thread where people couldn't download MS AntiSpyware update and those on NTL where getting the old dversion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…