ntl -actiontec wireless router

r.s.logan 19:26 01 Oct 06

Trying to set up Actiontec cable/router for my daughters laptop.I get it to work for a short time then when she starts using it ,the internet connection for the desktop is lost.I have been told by Actiontec to download driver for xp but cannot find it anywhere.The router model no. is gt701-wru , any one help please. (She has been on to their support about this problem and every time you get some one different .total waste of time.)

ade.h 19:32 01 Oct 06

Routers do not use drivers, so I have no idea why Actiontec would say that! It shows a complete lack of basic knowledge on the part of its staff.

r.s.logan 19:51 01 Oct 06

This is what I am up against !!!! They tell you to do the same things which cause the loss of the internet (which you have already told them at the start ) and then they ask you to go to a certain no. site which you cannot do because connection lost. If routers dont need drivers I will get back on to them. Thank you for help.

QuizMan 20:54 01 Oct 06

Perhaps they mean the latest driver for the wireless card.

ade.h 21:53 01 Oct 06

I hope so, Quizman. Because if they didn't know that router cannot and do not use drivers, then there may be no hope for this particular tech department! :o(

r.s.logan 12:11 02 Oct 06

Contacted Actiontec again and after another long phone call going through the same procedures once more , they say they will e.mail me a "ROUTER USB DRIVER.EXE." which should fix the problem . Ihave my doubts.

ade.h 14:16 02 Oct 06

Be careful before installing it. The mention of USB rings alarm bells. You mentioned in your OP that it is a cable router, as opposed to an ADSL modem/router, so your modem plugs into the router and the router can connect to the Ethernet socket that has been vacated by your modem. Generally speaking there are no USB ports involved in networking, apart from USB wifi adapters of course.

r.s.logan 16:44 02 Oct 06

ADE.H
What I am using is a Cable/Dsl router,hope this clarifies OP.I contacted NTL Broadband Support and got a great individual who knew what he was talking about. He walked me through the installation from start to finish correcting faults along the way in a pleasant and helpful manner. System now operating fine ,what a difference it makes when you get the right person. Many thanks for help and guidance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant