Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4
I have been suffering from the above for a couple of days. After a bit of goggling, the advice seemed to be to clear out junk, run a reg cleaner and run check disk, with both options ticked. This I have done, but it has made things worse. I can no longer see my Network/USB drive (LaCie Network Space2).
I am currently running an Acronis backup to a portable drive before running memtest and an Mbam/Hitman scans.
Should I bother with memtest or anti nasty scans, or just swap my hard drive for another?
The machine is about 3 yrs old.
Vista all up to date.
4 GB ram
Unfortunately the BSOD message goes to quickly for me to write anything down, getting old I guess. It took about five restarts before I found out about NTFS.SYS and despite requesting dump files, none are created.
Ntfs.sys missing or corrupt error message click here
Thanks Fruit Bat, it appears that a thunderbird was not being released from memmory properly. any way sorted that out, but now getting a series of other BSOD messages relating to:
WDF01000.SYS (replaced this file from a backup)
and BAD_POOL_CALLER 0x20 and 0xC2 messages.
Having Googled these, am now running memtest 86+ (nearly 3 hrs in) and no problems reported, Windows memory checker gave a clean bill of health also. Next I'll try chkdsk again (it gave a clean bill of health 2 days ago.
I have already taken out the gigabit ethernet card I installed earlier, been running it without probs, and check all cards are fitted correctly.
The main cause of the BAD_POOL messages seems to be running Roboform from within Firefox or Internet Explorer. Again these ran OK a few days ago.
Will try a new hard disk tomorrow, I have a spare. If that fails a 10lb lump hammer......!!
It's looking good.
After a good nights rest and forgettting the lump hammer I attacked the comp a fresh this moning.
Started from scratch.
Fixed four new problems flagged in Device Manager with sfc /scannow
Stumbled throughh three BSOD's,
BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER Stop: 0X0fe
Memory_Managment Stop 0x0A
CBUFS.sys (Comodo Back Up)
Uninstalled Comodo Back Up and hey presto. After six hours of use and restarts It seems to be working OK.
Keeping fingers crossed.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.