NTFS vs FAT32

madPentium 15:26 02 Apr 04

I have just reinstalled xp pro and applications on a pc, due to lots of damage from viruses. The only difference being, I chose to format in NTFS as opposed to FAT32. The machine is at least 30% slower, the applications take an age to run. Is there a known problem with NTFS slowing machines down?

spikeychris 15:31 02 Apr 04

No. NTFS will not slow the system down. You could run a repair installation or type sfc /scannow into run.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 15:32 02 Apr 04

NTFS is slower than Fat32 file system but it is a lot more secure and stabler and i think those 2 things alone out way the slowness,and to be honest i haven't noticed much difference in speed on my rig and i used fat32 for years.

Regards.

SANTOS7 15:36 02 Apr 04

click here
these might give you a better insight

madPentium 15:47 02 Apr 04

Thanks for the info, interesting. I just dont understand why the machine is so much slower than before :( It has the same applications and versions as before.
The only other thing I can think of is I have added the MS Rollup package to xp pro. I know there have been some buggy updates before, but it hasnt effected any other machines so far.
(scratching my head now)

keith-236785 16:02 02 Apr 04

one option if available to you would be to do a clean install of XP, but if you only have the upgrade cd then thats out of the window.

upgrading from an earlier windows is ok but it also brings all the dross from the old system.

when moving up i always do a clean install (format and setup)

Also, have you downloaded and installed service pack 1 from microsoft. that seems to iron out a few problems for some people.

check that you have the latest drivers for your hardware as old drivers may not be good enough for xp (even if they say they are), check the websites of your hardware for updates.

good luck

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 16:05 02 Apr 04

You can do a clean install of xp with the upgrade cd as long as you have a full valid version of another OS as it asks for the disk.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…