ntfs vs fat32

rambus 09:44 09 Oct 03

am about to install xp for the first time (dread)
later today, was wondering what the concensus of opinion as to file format? eg: nfts or fat32.
any opinions most welcome.
rambus.

graham√ 09:47 09 Oct 03

From XP Help and Support

NTFS is more powerful than FAT or FAT32, and includes features required for hosting Active Directory as well as other important security features. You can use features such as Active Directory and domain-based security only by choosing NTFS as your file system.
It is easy to convert partitions to NTFS. The Setup program makes conversion easy, whether your partitions used FAT, FAT32, or the older version of NTFS. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition). If you do not need to keep your files intact and you have a FAT or FAT32 partition, it is recommended that you format the partition with NTFS rather than convert from FAT or FAT32. Formatting a partition erases all data on the partition and allows you to start with a clean drive

Jester2K II 09:47 09 Oct 03

I have had my computer for a month or so now and via this forum I have found that NTFS is the way to go.Not just because with FAT32 you can only put on 4GB of data on a dvd, but it seems to be alot better for files.I am wanting to change my system to NTFS but am going to have to trawl the Microsoft for details.

rambus 10:02 09 Oct 03

thanks for quick response, ntfs it is then. am about to log off. and start to reformat and install xp,its going to be a long day, i can feel my stress levels rising already.
hope to be back some time this evening.
cheers, rambus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…