NTFS vs FAT, fresh OS load

pureskill2000 03:12 24 May 05

Hi,

firstly this may sound a ludicrous question but I am having problems installing an OS on a fresh built computer (something I have never before done)

Does the hard drive have to be partioned or formatted? if so what is a good size? what is a better option to go for aswell NTFS vs FAT?

I am trying to install XP pro & currently the problem I get after loading the drivers for the m/b & selecting the space that I get the error message "drive cannot be acessed"

thank you

John-259217 03:39 24 May 05

The XP pro installation program will offer you options for partitioning and formatting as it goes but it sounds as if it can`t detect your drive properly.

You say you are "loading the drivers for the mobo" do you mean from a floppy for a SATA drive connected to a mass storage controller(Promise Raid for example)?

If so is the controllers BIOS correctly set-up?

Does the drive appear when the computer POST`s (Power On Self Tests - may require pressing a key to view - check your mobo manual)?

Are you loading drivers after pressing F6 when Windows set-up prompts you?

If your hardware is a simple IDE drive does this show on the POST screen?

As to NTFS vs FAT32 opinions vary but I would use NTFS unless I had a very good reason not to (usually a dual boot machine running Windows98 as this O/S can`t read NTFS filesystems).

John

John-259217 03:47 24 May 05

I didn`t mention partition sizes but if you try a search of this forum you should find several threads with lots of differing opinions!!

I`m keeping mine to myself for the sake of a quiet life ;-)))

chandru 06:18 24 May 05

can you tell me your system configuration.

DJ-Garry 08:38 24 May 05

Whenever I've installed, I use one max size partition and always use NFTS as this is faster for file access and uses less HDD space etc. You should not have to load board drivers until after the XP install. Only thing you may have to do is go into BIOS to get machine to boot from XP installation CD (not your HDD) to run the install programcorrectly.
Hope this help, Garry.

DJ-Garry 08:38 24 May 05

Whenever I've installed, I use one max size partition and always use NFTS as this is faster for file access and uses less HDD space etc. You should not have to load board drivers until after the XP install. Only thing you may have to do is go into BIOS to get machine to boot from XP installation CD (not your HDD) to run the install programcorrectly.
Hope this help, Garry.

ayrmail 10:56 24 May 05

click here
click here
click here;EN-US;q315350
The above links should give you all the information you need to install you OS, as said previously you shouldn't be loading drivers for youe mobo untill you have a OS installed.
The error message is to do with your CD/DVD drive, do you have a floppy drive if so download the bootdisk from hear
click here
Re Fat32/NTFS Microsoft limited the user's ability to format FAT32 partitions on Windows 2000/XP machines to 32GB.
NT File System) An optional file system for Windows NT, 2000 and XP operating systems. NTFS is the more advanced file system, compared to FAT32. It improves performance and is required in order to implement numerous security and administrative features in the OS. For example, NTFS supports Active Directory domain names and provides file encryption. Permissions can be set at the file level rather than by folder, and individual users can be assigned disk space quotas. NTFS is designed to log activity and recover on the fly from hard disk crashes. It also supports the Unicode character set and allows file names up to 255 characters in length.

ayrmail 11:01 24 May 05

click here;EN-US;q315350
sorry this is the link to tell you about your error message.

ayrmail 11:05 24 May 05

click here
Again sorry can not get that link to work the above will take you to a list look down for your error and follow link.

pureskill2000 13:53 24 May 05

thank you I will try these, im loading the drivers using F6,i cannot get to where I am in the install else it jus completely misses the hdd.
As for this its IDE no fancy sata & is not picked up in post, bios etc but i thought this was the drivers, would it just be a problem with the hdd?
Systems wise its an asus A8N, amd athlon 3500, 1gb memory, gigabyte graphics card nothing else I can see is a problem.
I do have a floppy tho so as I say i will try this advice

DieSse 15:10 24 May 05

If the drive is not detected in the POST, then nothing will ever be able to talk to it - it's not a driver problem - it's way earlier in the schemem of things than that.

Suspect - cabling, drive, BIOS settings for the drive - roughly in that order.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…