NTFS Permissions when upgrading

algray 22:46 03 Dec 03

I am considering upgrading Win2K to Win XP OS. I have a partitioned NTFS drive on which I store the program files on one partition and some protected data, mp3s etc on the other.

For a clean start I would like to format the program files partition and start with a fresh XP rather than an upgrade of Win2K.

My question is, if I perform this clean down and install of an OS, will I be able to get back into the non-formatted partition after installing a new OS?

Or will it refuse to let me access files because XP will have installed new permissions? Is there a way round this?

temp003 10:12 04 Dec 03

I assume you're upgrading to XP pro.

Not sure about the answer. I know that with w2k pro and XP, sometimes after a repair reinstall, one cannot access existing data files, even as administrator and with the same password for logging on. So the problem may well arise.

The solution for that is for the new administrator to take ownership of the file.

I once read that the reason is, the existing files' permissions are attached to the owner who is identified not only by the name of the user account (such as administrator), but also by the Computer name (which is created when you first installed the OS - one suggested by Microsoft - in w2k, my experience is, it always suggests my own name followed by a set of numbers - and I always delete the set of numbers).

For example, in w2k if you right click a data file, Properties, Security tab, Advanced, then click the Owner tab, the cuurent owner of this item is listed as [Computer name/Administrator].

When you reinstall the OS (even with a repair reinstall), a new Computer name is generated (usually with a different set of numbers). So the administrator account becomes [new computer name/administrator], who according to these OS's, is a different user account and person.

I haven't verified this myself, but it seems to make sense.

When you install xp pro, when prompted for the computer name, try using the same name as before. You can double check the existing computer name by right clicking My Computer, Properties, Network Identification tab, Properties. [You can also change the computer name to a more user-friendly one, which requires a restart.] Actually the name that appears in front of the user account in the Owner tab is the the computer name.

If the problem does still arise, just take ownership of the files or folders in XP (or the entire partition). XP pro may have a slightly different route to get to the Owner tab, but you'll get there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…