NTFS or remain at Fat32?

BeeWee 20:55 09 May 03

i have recently upgraded from win 98 se to xp and am loving it!! however i must have missed the option to change to NTFS at installation. is there any advantages to this filing system over fat 32?

recap 21:00 09 May 03
  spikeychris 21:02 09 May 03

There are some advantages and if you want to change, just open a command prompt and type

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Chris

spikeychris 21:02 09 May 03

There are some advantages and if you want to change, just open a command prompt and type

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Chris

spikeychris 21:06 09 May 03

You only have to it once though...

BeeWee 21:09 09 May 03

lol...too late now i have ntfs x 2

spikeychris 21:13 09 May 03

:o)

BeeWee 22:05 09 May 03

no one has told me the advantages yet

jeez 23:02 09 May 03

ntfs is more secure than fat32 and allows you to take full advantage of xp's security features, it also stores files in a more efficent way, saving disk space. In short, if you don't dual boot your system with win 9.x (that would need to access files on the xp partition) then convert

powerless 05:51 10 May 03

Although you can convert as spikeychris says (twice).

I Would format and choose NTFS as the file system.

If you upgraded, then all you need to do is install XP (you will be asked for the 98 CD pop that in) then XP will continue.

recap 20:48 12 May 03

NTFS is designed for system security (file permissions etc) FAT and FAT32 are not.
NTFS keeps a log of activities in order to be able to restore the disk after a power failure or other interruption. It won't replace data on the NTFS drives, but if it's interrupted in t he middle of a write procedure, it will restore the volume structure. This prevents the disk's volume from becomming corrupted.
NTFS is a File system that allows, compressing files, file encryption, file-and folder level security to name a few.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…