NTFS HDD formating

nar 12:55 28 Oct 03

My instalation of XP update is a bit dodgy and i want to do a low level format of the HDD. ON the instaltion of xp i changed both part to NTFS, can i now low level format the drive to FAT32 and then install win98se then xp? or can i format and then install 98 without changing to fat32. is indeed possible to change drive from NTFS to FAT32? What are the options

Legolas 13:20 28 Oct 03

I dont think you can install 98 onto a NFTS partition. You can install XP and choose to format as Fat32.

DieSse 13:26 28 Oct 03

You don't "low level format" to FAT32 or NTFS - you do a regular format.

A "low-level" format - more correctly called a zero-fill, is a manufacturer supplied routine to take a drive right back to how it was when it left the factory. You still need to then partition and format afetr a zero-fill.

You cannot install Win98 without Fdisking and formatting to FAT32 - it doesn't work with NTFS.

nar 14:39 28 Oct 03

i want to completly clean my disk so will i have to reformat the hdd part as fat32 (is this possible?) then reinstall win98 then win xp as xp is only an upgrade? i would reinstall xp but the last time i rerinstalled it it still said on the initial instalation screen that i had a install of win98 and 2 of xp. What would be the best course of attack reinstall xp again or go for the cleaning process? Many thanx

DieSse 18:18 28 Oct 03

You don't have to install Win98 first just because you only have the upgrade CD. Just install from the XP CD as if it were a full version - then it will ask you at a certain point to insert your 98 CD simply to prove you already have it.

This is by far the bset way, as you get a totally clean XP installation.

This way you can go for an NTFS istallation - NTFS is a superior filing system.

If you do want to totally clear your drve first, you need to go to the drive manufacturers site for their zero-fill program. If you know your HDD manufacturer, someone will point you to the relevant program.

Mankster 18:22 28 Oct 03

you may find this handy piece of software "DELPART" very useful if you need to format hard drive,with ntfs
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…