NTFS File Compression

Batch 15:22 31 Dec 06

I've noticed that on my laptop (Xp-Pro), many of the OS and program files are compressed. None of the folders (immediately above the files or higher up) have comprssion turned on.

For example, most, but not all Acronis True Image files (in C:\Program Files\Acronis\True Image) are compressed.

Similarly, an application (that I wrote years ago) and installed manually (i.e. I created a folder and copied the .EXE across) is compressed.

Is there some default setting elsewhere in XP that causes this compression to occur??? By way of contrast, my other PC (XP-Home) has the same apps, but the files are not compressed!

VoG II 15:24 31 Dec 06

Running Disk Cleanup compresses files if that option is selected.

Batch 15:33 31 Dec 06

Hmmm! That might be it. I don't use the laptop very often and I see the (default?) setting is to compress if not used for 50 days.

I seem to recollect a long time ago that Disk Cleanup took a long time to run and was (probably) stuck on Compress Old Files.

I didn't realise that Compress Old Files meant literally ANY files not accessed (is that definitely the case?).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…