Ntfs + Fats

birdface 17:00 16 Jan 11

Hi.My sons computer is set up to Ntfs but just noticed his Usb memory stick or whatever you call it for saving his University work it is set for Fat.
I take it it is Ok as he has been using it for a while.
Just thought that I should ask just in case.
Noticed it because everytime he starts the computer chkdsk want to check e-drive which is set as FAT but computer starts ok without it chkdsk running.
He gets the blue screen with the 7 seconds warning to press any key to stop it from running but it just opens the normal window after the 7 seconds without running it.

GaT7 18:11 16 Jan 11

Yes buteman, FAT32 is fine for USB flash drives (as long as he doesn't work with any files greater than 4Gb each in size - it would've made a fuss by now if he did).

It shouldn't be running chkdsk at every startup though. Try doing a thorough chkdsk in Windows to see if it cures the problem. Right-click the flash drive in My Computer > Properties > Tools > Check Now > tick both boxes > Start. G

lancer048 20:14 16 Jan 11

The problem can be solved very easily, only you should know that FAT32 system of files were in practised for older computers maximum upto Pentium-3 and for later ones NTFS should be used. It is better for you to re-install windows with NTFS as your C Drive.
Open Talk Magazine
magazine online
<a href="click here">magazine online</a>

woodchip 20:19 16 Jan 11

What as CPU got to do with Fat or NTFS. Only thing you cannot do is load Old Operating Systems to NTFS. But thats nothing to do with CPU's
PS NTFS will can read Fat Partitions but Fat cannot read NTFS

GaT7 20:22 16 Jan 11

woodchip, ignore lancer048. He/she is a spammer, having reported a spammed thread by him/her to the FE not too long ago. G

woodchip 20:23 16 Jan 11

Thanks for the Heads Up

birdface 20:42 16 Jan 11

Ok thanks for the info.
I assumed it would be Ok.
it was the chkdsk opening at start up that had me worried.
I will try running it the next time I am at his home.

bremner 20:44 16 Jan 11

.....and not only is lancer048 a spammer they are a spammer who doesn't know what they are talking about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…