NTFS & FAT32 compatability on Norton Ghost

Nicols0n 20:48 02 Mar 05

I ahve just bought a Western Digital external hard drive for backup via Ghost 9. On examining the external drive, I find it is formatted as FAT32, whilst my computer hard drive is NTFS. I have been able to make a base and several scheduled incremental backups OK, but will there be any problems if & when I have to restore? If so, how do I convert the external drive to NTFS. I am willing to lose all the current backups - but only if necessary.

Can anybody help?

VoG II 20:49 02 Mar 05
  speedy12 20:56 02 Mar 05

im pretty sure u can backup on the fat32 external drive without any problems.

BRYNIT 21:28 02 Mar 05

I don't think you will have problems using the drive in fat32 but if you wish to format to NTSF click on my computer, right click on drive, format, and change to NTSF click on start. If you copy everything to your HD first you can then copy it back to the external HD when formated

mgmcc 22:59 02 Mar 05

I regularly create Norton Ghost images of my NTFS drives in an external USB2 drive formatted as FAT32. I have also restored drive images which retain their NTFS formatting.

A FAT32 external drive has the advantage that it can also be accessed by a PC running Windows 98/ME should it be necessary. This wouldn't be possible with it formatted as NTFS.

Nicols0n 12:21 03 Mar 05

Many thanks everybody - it seems that I do not have a problem, but I will re-format it to NTFS sometime when I have a few hours spare!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…