ntfs fat32?/?

madferrit 19:54 10 Aug 05

hi all whats the differance between fat 32 and ntfs

Jackcoms 20:07 10 Aug 05

Taken from Windows XP Help and Support:

NTFS is more powerful than FAT or FAT32, and includes features required for hosting Active Directory as well as other important security features. You can use features such as Active Directory and domain-based security only by choosing NTFS as your file system.

It is easy to convert partitions to NTFS. The Setup program makes conversion easy, whether your partitions used FAT, FAT32, or the older version of NTFS. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition). If you do not need to keep your files intact and you have a FAT or FAT32 partition, it is recommended that you format the partition with NTFS rather than convert from FAT or FAT32. Formatting a partition erases all data on the partition and allows you to start with a clean drive.

Whether a partition is formatted with NTFS or converted using the convert command, NTFS is the better choice of file system. For more information about Convert.exe, after completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. In the command window, type help convert and then press ENTER.

In order to maintain access control on files and folders and support limited accounts, you must use NTFS. If you use FAT32, all users will have access to all files on your hard drive, regardless of their account type (administrator, limited, or standard.)

NTFS is the file system that works best with large disks. (The next best file system for large disks is FAT32.)

mattyc_92 21:02 10 Aug 05

I was going to say that...... lol

amy-best 21:26 10 Aug 05

Jackcoms

but what does that mean? In english:-(

VoG II 21:36 10 Aug 05

click here

Basically, NTFS is better in most circumstances.

Jackcoms 21:54 10 Aug 05

"but what does that mean? In english:-("

Now therein we have a problem.

It was written by Microsoft who, as you know, are American and I have yet to meet an American who speaks (proper) English. ;-)

amy-best 22:01 10 Aug 05

"Basically, NTFS is better in most circumstances."

That will do for me. Thanks VOG.

Kev.Ifty 23:51 10 Aug 05

One Nick name is always better than two!

:-) Kev

amy-best 08:25 11 Aug 05

" One Nick name is always better than two! :-) Kev "

Did you think I asked the question as "madferrit"
?

I am sorry. I did not. madferrit is some one I do not know.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…