NTFS: to defrag or not

carlos 16:13 28 Jan 04

Win 2000 OS, NTFS: I am told no need to defrag. Can't find the option in system tools anyway.
However, Win XP with NTFS....facility is there and most definitely reqd. Be grateful for elucidation ( recent post on defrag reminded me to ask this small question

AndySD 16:34 28 Jan 04

Defrag....

In Accessories then System Tools.

Yes it needs doing.

AndySD 16:38 28 Jan 04

Or try Diskeeper lite click here

Djohn 16:45 28 Jan 04

As AndySD says. Also if you can't find "Defrag" in the place mentioned above, [It should be there]. Try Start/Run, and in the window that appears type the word.

defrag

Then click on OK or press the enter key on your keyboard.

If "Defrag" is not showing in system tools, is "Disk Clean-up showing"? if neither of these are showing they may need to be re-installed from the CD. j.

carlos 16:58 28 Jan 04

but, I was definitely told that there is no requirement to defrag in Win2000 because of the NTFS file structure. This from Olympus who installed a 2Hundred K microscope/PC analysis system for us.The associated PC is in use 7days a week, with image archiving and transfer going on all the time

carlos 17:01 28 Jan 04

thanks, I have it. I regularly defrag Pcs running 98, Me and Xp. Just not the Win2000, on advice!!!

Jester2K 17:06 28 Jan 04

Win2000 like NT didn't come with its own built in defrag like all the Win 9x series.

And yes you do need to defrag NTFS disks. I have 4 and defrag them regularly using Diskeeper.

carlos 17:08 28 Jan 04

I am glad I read the posts . Just checked two newish Image PC stations running win2000. Boy!!!!! are they defragged. AND the command under system tools is there on both, as usual. Interestingly, it's not there on the Olympus setup tho..........
Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…