NTFS Cluster sizes(info sought plz)

Chegs ® 10:49 17 Dec 03

I have just cured my puter of major hassles,and the cluster size appears to have been the cause.I used Maxblast/PM to format the hdd(on default settings)and it kept crashing.I used XP install cd,and it behaves itself.

I checked the hdd for differences between each progs formatting,and eventually noticed the clusters were different sizes whenever I used PM/Maxblast,even tho' they were all setup with default settings.

Could someone with a greater understanding of this(clusters)try and ease my addled brain,why would differences in clusters make XP unstable?

Big Elf 10:55 17 Dec 03

Don't know but click here might provide a clue.

Big Elf 10:56 17 Dec 03

Possibly something to do with the 'File Compression' option.

Chegs ® 12:45 17 Dec 03

I have been having a read round www,and I cannot see any reason for the "default" cluster size from each prog being unacceptable to XP,yet it is.I presently have 4kb clusters,Maxblast default is 64kb(I think it was)and PM creates 4kb too,only these must have a slight difference to XP's 4kb's as its not stable.

Chegs ® 02:21 18 Dec 03

Chegs ® 00:09 23 Dec 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…