NTFS boot disk

TrustNoone 19:42 28 Dec 04

Apologies if this has been asked before...

I have converted my disks to NTFS because microsoft told me that this would improve system performance.

Unfortunately, I overlooked the fact that DOS boot disk cannot read NTFS partition (Bill Gates probagbly thought no-one would ever need to boot from a floppy!).

Of course when I attempt to use NOrton Ghost 2003 (PC DOS 7.01) to back up my system, the system hangs.

Therefore I have serached for a means to create an NTFS Boot Disk. I found some references on the web (eg click here).

Do you think this will work for Norton Ghost? If not, what other alternatives can you suggest. The symantec website does not seem to have a solution (which is somewhat surprising). BTW, I am not in a position to convert my C drive back to FAT32.

Compliments of the season...

steven_frost 19:48 28 Dec 04

did you create the gost image in fat32 or ntfs

Jeffers22 19:49 28 Dec 04

If you have, or can get hold of, a copy of partition magic, you will be able to convert back to FAT32.

NTFS does have some things going for it, but ease of use in a problem situation is not one of them.

bremner 19:56 28 Dec 04

I am slightly confused by your problem.

From this Symantec Page click here=

"Ability to save image files to NTFS partitions

In previous Ghost versions, Ghost could not save an image file to a local NTFS partition because DOS does not read NTFS partitions. Norton Ghost 2003 has been written to be able to access NTFS partitions to save image files, and to restore disks or partitions from image files.

Note, though, that Ghost can save only image files to local NTFS partitions, and not other types of files. When you run Ghost with an option that creates a file such as a log file or CRC file, use an appropriate option on the Ghost command line to save that file to a different location. For instance, if you run Ghost to create an image file, to save that image file to drive D, which is an NTFS partition, and to create a log file, use a switch that directs Ghost to save the log file to location other than drive D, such as a floppy disk."

TrustNoone 22:36 28 Dec 04

My problem: I wish to make a backup of drive C: using Ghost 2003; i.e. an image file of drive c:

Unfortunately, drive c: has been formatted to NTFS which Norton Ghost 2003 does not recognise. Therefore when I run Ghost.exe, the list of disks availalbe to me does not include my operating system disk drive (partition).

Is there a workaround, or must I invest in another product such as Acronis' True Image click here

Thanks for your input so far

bremner 22:40 28 Dec 04

I have two hard drives both formatted as NTFS. I have used Ghost 2003 to make images of both disks with no problem whatsoever.

Are you running Ghost in Windows or trying to do it in from a DOS boot disk.

If the latter then that is the problem.

Simply open Ghost in Windows - follow the screens and at the end the machine will boot itself into DOS mode - then complete the image and reboot back to Windows.

TrustNoone 23:19 28 Dec 04

" Are you running Ghost in Windows or trying to do it in from a DOS boot disk." - Running from Windows. As you say, failed to get anywhere with running from the floppy.

Do you think that GHost should be uninstalled then reinstalled? When NSW 2003 was installed last year, the system partition was FAT32; the change to NTFS occurred while, NSW 2003 remained installed.

Cheers

bremner 08:21 29 Dec 04

The reason I ask about running in Windows is this line from you

"...Therefore when I run Ghost.exe, the list of disks available to me does not include my operating system disk drive (partition)..."

This made me think you were perhaps starting Ghost from a command line and not Windows.

I have again this morning had another go on my machine and both drives are available to image and to image too. To see if we are doing the same thing; I followed these steps:

Start > All Programs > Norton SystemWorks

Then I choose the Norton Ghost tab > Ghost Basic > Backup > which opened the Wizard. I clicked Next button and in the Window that opened there was a box titled ‘Source’ on left hand side which showed both of my NTFS drives. (the C drive said No Ghost ID – but this is not important)

If you have followed these steps and can not see your drives then you can not loose anything by reinstalling and seeing if that makes a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…