NTFS back to Fat32

paddyjack 15:57 10 Apr 04

I have been asked by a neighbour to remove XP Home from there machine, and install 98se. I am planing to Fdisk and then format.

The question is will Fdisk work or do I need another utility?

All suggestions welcomed.

Diodorus Siculus 16:03 10 Apr 04

Yes, fdisk should work; only query would be the size of the HDD - some early versions of fdisk are limited.

Diodorus Siculus 16:05 10 Apr 04

Alternatively, boot with the XP CD and use it to format the drive.

paddyjack 16:06 10 Apr 04

Thanks Diodorus Siculus

no problem on size only 20gig.

paddyjack 16:07 10 Apr 04

Will post results tomorrow, when I do the job. Will close thread then also.

Once again thanks

Eric10 18:26 10 Apr 04

The FDISK option to use is 'Remove Non DOS Partition' then just create a new partition.

bremner 18:31 10 Apr 04

FDisk will not recognise a NTFS partion.

woodchip 18:37 10 Apr 04

Fdisk will remove NTFS

Eric10 18:40 10 Apr 04

Any late version of FDisk will definately remove an NTFS partition. I do it all the time in my work.

bremner 18:46 10 Apr 04

I must have an earlier version as it does not see NTFS at all.

Any links to the more recent versions would be appreciated.

Eric10 19:09 10 Apr 04

When I said 'later version' I should have said 'all but very early versions'. I've just done some tests and I had to go back to DOS 6.22's FDisk before my NTFS partition wasn't recognised. I would also be suspicious of the first version of Windows 95 as this didn't even know about Fat32 although the version I have saw it OK as did the Windows 98 version.

Maybe you're getting mixed up with the fact that the boot disk can't see the NTFS partition but FDISK can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…