NT linking with Win 2000 printers across all users

broady40 15:11 01 Apr 03

Hello. We are a training centre with over 100 trainees. We have an old NT server but have recently purchased eight new workstations running windows 2000. My problem is when I loaded the network printers onto the workstations they work fine. However when I log on as a different user they are not there. It would not be practical to load the printers individulally to every user.

Can anyone help?

dth 16:36 01 Apr 03

I suspect that Win 2000 is like NT in that each user has their own profile. So that when you set up a PC for Fred - the printer is set up for him. If Jim then uses Fred's P/C - it is necessary for the printer to be added to Fred's profile.

SCL411 18:00 01 Apr 03

This is to do with the way Win 2k (and XP) create and treat individual user profiles.

In order to get the printer to appear for every user, it must be added as a local printer (even though they are, presumably, network printers?).

To do this, run the add printer wizard on the Win 2k workstation.

Take the tick out of the "Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer", and make sure the "Local printer attached to this computer" button is selected.

On the next page, select "Create a new port:" and in the drop down box select "Standard TCP/IP Port".

Next, enter the full UNC path for the printer share e.g. \\servername\hplaser (obviously putting your own info in there) or if your printer has a fixed IP address, as most heavy duty lasers do, put this in instead.

If I remember correctly, the install process should continue as normal from there onwards. When the printer has been installed using this method, it should be available to any user who logs on to your Win 2k workstations.

Hope this works and apologies if I've left anything out, it's been a while since I've had to do this!

Regards,

SCL

SCL411 23:07 01 Apr 03

sorry, forgot to say that you need to be logged on as an administrator to do it!!!

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…