'NT Kernal & System' process high CPU usage

paulbuttrill 11:58 04 Feb 15

I've noticed that a lot of the time the 'NT Kernal & System' process in the Task Manager goes on overdrive. It always happens when my Internet connection cuts out. It must be related because normally it's on (or close to) 0%. I then have to restart the PC sometimes every 10 - 15 minutes (unless I'm not using the Internet). It's driving me mad.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD. This problem has been going on for over a week now and I've tried all kinds of things.... uninstall/reinstall my Network card, update my Network card driver, virus/spyware/adware/malware scans, reinstalled Windows 7 (as an upgrade so I keep my files and programs. I'm stuck to just restarting my PC. I don't know what's causing it or how to fix it.

northumbria61 12:23 04 Feb 15

Take a look here CPU Usage

paulbuttrill 16:19 04 Feb 15

Thanks. I tried the KrView. It installed ok but when I started the program it flashed the command prompt for a split second then went off the screen.

paulbuttrill 20:33 05 Feb 15

It seems to be caused by Avast anti virus but only when I'm using MS Outlook to check my emails. It seems to be fine when I'm sending/receiving emails it's just when I open several emails at once.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5