NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

yeldud 07:36 12 Aug 03

I am getting a message om home computer that says that "the system is shutting down in 60 seconds. The shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM and is because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC Service)temininated unexpectedly". That may not be exactly how it is worded but it's not far off. This happens about a minute after I get onto the net.The operating system is Windows XP Home and my ISP is BT. Can anyone help please?

Jester2K II 07:57 12 Aug 03

Possible Virus (3 threds in 10 minutes today)
click here

click here

Stinger will remove some - i suspect this to be the Lovsan Virus click here

Get AV free - click here

Jester2K II 08:00 12 Aug 03

Again

I think that as there have been 3 thread on this in 10 minutes its a new virus.

Lovsan seems to fit the bill

click here

click here

Stinger click here can remove this virus.

Then get patching - Microsoft has issued a patch for the vulnerability exploited by this worm. The patch is available from click here.

If you have AV update - if not get Free AV Get AV free - click here

Jester2K II 08:32 12 Aug 03

Symantec also have a tool against this

click here

andyj007 09:23 12 Aug 03

happened this morning.....ahhhhhhh
going to try those virus checkers now.

Jane doe 09:37 12 Aug 03

Morning again lads. Have/are trying those tools you sent me links to. It does appear that I have had a virus when I signed onto the net last night. Blueyonder had sent a warning out this morning as well. It seems to get by AV systems. I have Norton and AVG but I still got it and now I hear from work that all the office computers caught the same thing when they signed on this morning! The trouble is its hard to stay online lonmg enough to D/L the fixes. Thanks Ill let you know how I get on. Jane

Morgan 09:40 12 Aug 03

Is it definitely a virus or is it a Windows XP problem? The same thing happened to me last night on my home PC. The problem I have is that I can't stay online long enough to download any AVG updates or any MS XP patches. Also, I have XP home, but I don't know which patch to download - 32 or 63 bit edition?

Any suggestions?

Jester2K II 09:44 12 Aug 03

32 bit edition

Morgan 09:53 12 Aug 03

I'll give it a try.

MoonChild22 09:57 12 Aug 03

IT also happened to me last night, does anyone know how to get rid of it if you can't stay online long enough to download the patches, infact i cant stay online long enough to even read these messages, i had to use sisters to do this....

arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Jester2K II 09:58 12 Aug 03

You need to get rid of the virus first - use Stinger (smaller download click here) to scan and remove the virus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…