Now that my PC is running alright (touch wood)

TommyRed 10:07 10 Sep 03

What shall I mess with now. TR

dfghjkl 12:37 10 Sep 03

last time i said my pc was running ok it must have heard me,it soon gave me plenty to do in fact i can say than it has not run 100% since,but we wouldnt have it any way ,would we?you could always let my kids on it if you are up for a challenge,i am sure you will find something to tweak,

Tog 12:59 10 Sep 03

Linux will open up a whole new world of tweaks, bodges, and recompiling up the yingyang. Go on, you know you want to...

TommyRed 13:19 10 Sep 03

Found something, how/can I get my PC to run ScanDisk and Defrag at night when I'm not on the PC. I only ever remember to do it when I want to go on it. Plus can you run one after the other and does the monitor need to be on, and as I normally run ScanDisk and Defrag in 'Safe' mode can this also be accomodated? TR

Wes Tam ;-) 13:19 10 Sep 03

Do your housekeeping (PC that is) regularly.

Peverelli 15:27 10 Sep 03

I hope you're not doing that every night. There's a school of thought that reckons "over" defragging will shorten the life of your hard drive. If you're doing both then run Scandisk before Defrag. You can set up times in Scheduled Tasks (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools) although leave a good time between Scandisk and Defrag (maybe 4 hours to be on the safe side). Yes you can leave the monitor off, although you won't see any error messages - but then again, if you're sleeping at night this won't make any difference.

Peverelli 15:42 10 Sep 03

Ah, I see you're asking this question on another thread as well. click here

Belatucadrus 16:58 10 Sep 03

Definitely sounds like time to install water cooling.

Mango Grummit 17:16 10 Sep 03

You could try a bit of registry tweaking.

Flashing the BIOS is another good one.

Put it in the cupboard and "Build Your Own."

One of the above three is guaranteed to provide the problems you seek but then don't try to solve 'em by doing a search on here .. that could be considered cheating and spoils everyone else's fun too.

Look forward to your next post, regards, M

Diemmess 17:27 10 Sep 03

There's a whole host of ways to clutter your hard disk with "image files" from Ghost or Drive Image, and if you really want to "save restoration time" (and buy expensive software to play with) you can try HyperOs which will allow you to have lots of "computers" available to restore and image and discard if things go wobbly.

Mango Grummit 18:02 10 Sep 03

LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…