NOW I'm annoyed... it DID work, but won't now... LAPTOP to TV

AngeTheHippy 20:05 23 Feb 12
Answered

Evening Chaps,

We often watch movies from my Toshiba L300 Lappy on our Samsung LCD TV, by means of a serial cable and an audio cable. Just choose (on TV) the 'source', eg DVD player, Game, PC, (PC in this case), and there it was - the Laptop desktop displayed on the LCD telly. All of a sudden though, the damned thing isn't working! Within 5 seconds of choosing 'PC' , the TV powers off!! It's really annoying me and I don't know how to remedy it. Any clues please?

Ta

AngeTheHippy x

AngeTheHippy 20:07 23 Feb 12

Sorry, should have said - OS: Vista.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:12 23 Feb 12

Possibly a wrong resolution or refresh rate set for the 2nd monitor output on the lappy.

Try setting refresh rate at approx 60Hz

AngeTheHippy 21:16 23 Feb 12

Evenin' Fruit Bat /\0/\ , I can only choose 60Hz refresh rate, but as soon as himself has finished watching this MU match, I'll alter the screen res on the Lappy. I'll be back to report!!

Ange x

AngeTheHippy 22:10 23 Feb 12

Sadly, still the same, Fruit Bat /\0/\ . Changing screen res did nothing. Can't understand why it's been working perfectly good for well, years, and now it won't! I have of course, checked the plugs are fully pushed home on back of TV too..

AngeTheHippy x

WhiteTruckMan 01:18 24 Feb 12

Does the tv power off (I'm guessing it's going into standby, but I may be wrong) when you switch input to pc when the cable isnt plugged into the tv?

Also, you havent said if you get any movie playback in the 5 seconds it takes for the tv to power down. If the answers are yes and no respectively then possibly try a system restore to go back a few days, maybe a week.

WTM

AngeTheHippy 09:00 25 Feb 12

Mornin' WhiteTruckMan, I wasn't clear - I meant TV goes into standby, not power off completely. This is the usual sequence - normally, I connect Lappy to TV, then the with the TV RC I scan through 'source' - I've got 'DVD''AV' 'GAME' and 'PC' - I leave it on PC, and normally it immediately shows the Lappy's desktop on the TV. NOW, it just shows a black screen for about 5 seconds then TV goes to standby. Just tried Pete's Laptop - works fine, so we can safely say it's my lappy that's at fault. Sod it...

Ange x

rdave13 13:51 25 Feb 12

Have a look at your graphics setting on your laptop as you might need to change from laptop screen only to laptop screen and monitor. Seem to remember having to do that with a Packard Bell netbook running XP. No idea why it would change if it is that.

AngeTheHippy 16:12 25 Feb 12
Answer

Yes, yes, YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right click on screen/personalize, display settings/clicked onto monitor 2 and ticked 'extend laptop onto this monitor'. It worked!! I've never used these controls in the 3+ years I've had this lappy, and dunno why it should shift out of the setting if indeed that's how it was set up in the first place!!

Many thanks all of you, and rdave13 for making me look at that setting again. I did, earlier this week but didn't think of ticking that box.

Ange xxx

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…