Now here's a strange problem

pj123 16:47 23 Mar 04

I have just found a floppy which (according to Windows Explorer) contains 36 files all excel .xls They are all dated February 2004. I don't know what they are (from the filenames I have a rough idea) but when I try to open them in Excel all I get is: "filename.xls cannot be accessed. The file may be read only, or you may be trying to access a read only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be respsonding". I have taken off all the attributes but to no avail. I must have saved them to floppy from somewhere at sometime but (I think it's called "old age") I can't remember. Anyone got any ideas? Please.

VoG II 16:52 23 Mar 04

Have you tried copying to hard drive and opening from there?

pj123 17:14 23 Mar 04

VoG. Just tried that and all I get is: Cannot read "filename.xls." The system cannot read from the specified device".

JerryJay 17:16 23 Mar 04

There may be some links in your files which point to some place in network and the files linked to disappered.

TommyRed 19:23 23 Mar 04

Could it be that the files where created by a version of excel that you no longer use, and you would need this version to open them. Just a thought. TR

wee eddie 20:44 23 Mar 04

2nd thought - Works Spreadsheet - although Excel should be able to read them!

VoG II 20:50 23 Mar 04

No - Works spreadsheets do not have .xls extension.

If it was one file I would say damaged workbook but al 36?

Sorry, baffled.

Gongoozler 21:02 23 Mar 04

Try opening one of the files in Notepad (Shift + Right click and select "Open with", but make sure that there isn't a tick in the "Always use this program" box). If it is an Excel file it should have a reference to Excel near the end of the file.

The Spires 21:33 23 Mar 04

I think Outpost firewall creates log files with that extention.

wee eddie 02:44 24 Mar 04

click here

worth a try anyway!

wildrover 10:16 24 Mar 04

Do you get the error message however you try to open them? E.G. double-click icon via my computer; and/or in windows explorer; and/or 'open' from within the programme?

Have a search in the forum click here for some suggestions (click the forum tab, then search filename.xls - its a great site!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…