now another problem!!!!

sammyb36 18:18 04 Dec 07

hello again guys.......

firstly thank you so much for helping me out the other day. format went ok and all software now installed and working great. so once again many thanks.....

HOWEVER!!!!!!

now my daughters pc has packed up...

it has windows xp professional(for which i dont have a disk) and when we boot pc up, it launches windows, but then nothing happens... desktop is blank with the curser flashing, and nothing else not even after 30 mins....
same thing happens in safe mode...

(damn computers i am sure i didnt have this many probs with my zx80)

any help greatly appreciated

thanks sam

mymate 18:35 04 Dec 07

I have a Windows xp pro disc i can post to you if you want it.Then you could try a repair.
See what the brainy guys here think first.

SANTOS7 18:44 04 Dec 07

I have a Windows xp pro disc i can post to you if you want it..
Thats a bold statement on any forum, so i assume this disc is genuine and has not been used on any other system...
It,of course could only be used to possibly repair the existing instalation..

skidzy 19:10 04 Dec 07

Sammy first thing,more info on the machine in question.

Make and model
How old
Has windows been reinstalled
Is this the original setup of windows

Reason i ask this;

If this is a bought pc from lets say PCWorld you maybe lucky and have a Recovery/Restore partition.I am hoping here its not a hardware fault at this stage.Try tapping F11 or F10 on startup to see if you have the option of recovery/restore.Be careful,if this is availble you could lose all data.

As this is happening in safemode,this could be overheating or psu failing.The List goes on at this stage,identifing the problem will be trial and error.

Are the fans spinning ?
Can you hear the harddrive ?
Any lights on ?

Please give us as much info as you can.

mymate 19:55 04 Dec 07

Its a genuine Xp pro disc. I know it might not be the same version but its worth a try. I did say to try to do a repair !I didnt say to install .

sammyb36 20:47 04 Dec 07

hi guys.

thanks for your replies.

firstly, i bought the pc from my brother in law via his company who were sellinng of all their 2 year old pc's it is a dell,(not sure of the model. everything was installed when i got it. yes i can here the fan and the hard drive doing its thing. is this any use to you tech's????

thanks
sam

hi guys.

thanks for your replies.

firstly, i bought the pc from my brother in law via his company who were sellinng of all their 2 year old pc's it is a dell,(not sure of the model. everything was installed when i got it. yes i can here the fan and the hard drive doing its thing. is this any use to you tech's????

thanks
sam

hi guys.

thanks for your replies.

thanks
sam

hi guys.

thanks for your replies.

thanks
sam

fishface113 20:54 04 Dec 07

Get on to their website. They have been installing built in recovery systems for quite some time now and it is likely there is an invisible partition on the system with a full recovery suite.

On my Dell you hold F12 but just check as their may be other options depending on the system.

Unfortunately the full recovery will erase everything on the hard disk so be warned.

Good Luck

sammyb36 21:26 04 Dec 07

hi my mate.

dont think i want to run the risk of full format as has all her gcse stuff on it. is there a chance of getting the disk??

many thanks

sam

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now