Novice - wireless connection to internet

Jonathan314159 22:06 28 Feb 05

I imagine that this is really simple, but I can't find the answer in other threads.

I have a desktop Windows XP with broadband connection. And a laptop running W98. What do I need to get a wireless connection to the broadband from the laptop? And what should I expect to pay?

thanks for any help

LastChip 23:32 28 Feb 05

How is your broadband supplied to you? Is it via a BT telephone line or cable?

How is it fed into your computer? Via a network card or USB?

mgmcc 09:38 01 Mar 05

The most basic way would be to install a wireless network adapter in each PC, create what is known as an "Ad Hoc" wireless network and enable Internet Connection Sharing on the internet connection in the desktop PC.

This will let you have internet access, provided the "host" PC is running and online. You will also have file & printer sharing.

A more sophisticated solution is to use a wireless broadband router but, if your connection is ADSL, you need a combined modem/router as a USB modem cannot be used with a router. Cable broadband doesn't have this problem as the supplied modems support ethernet connections.

In terms of Wireless Network Adapters, the desktop can use either an internal PCI card or a USB WiFi adapter. The laptop can use either PCMCIA or USB.

Cost very roughly in the region of £30 for each WiFi adapter and £50 to £90 for a wireless router, depending whether it also needs to include ADSL modem.

Jonathan314159 22:21 01 Mar 05

LastChip - the broadband is via BT telephone. So I think I'll go with mgmcc's first solution.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5