Novice warning - Networking question

pro747 13:04 08 Feb 04

Hi

I've just bought a new PC running XP and have moved the old Win98 PC into another room & rather than buy another printer would like to network them together.

Can someone tell me the best way to do it - I currently have both PCs & a Playstation connected to an NTL Broadband connection via a Linksys router (BEFSR41).

Can someone tell me if I need to buy anything else, as I've read somewhere that I need a hub as well.

Can someone take the time to help explain please cos I'm confused.

Thanks
Peter

Rennaissance 13:08 08 Feb 04

okay, run three ethernet rj45 cables to your pcs and playstation. Then for a printer you would need a print server to connec tot your router. But that is not needed as you can connect your printer to either on of the pcs and use that as the print server, but that pc has to be switched on for the printer to work. Then just run the network setup wizard and there you go. I have exactly the same router as you so its okay. connected two pcs to my network and printer to one pc and i can share it straight off.

Rennaissance 13:09 08 Feb 04

oops maybe too much info. No you dont need a hub in simple terms. just do as i say with the printer.

SEASHANTY 15:16 08 Feb 04

^

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…