novice needs help

mikel1878 11:21 27 Jun 04

Hi, when i use internet explorer a toolbar has recently been added. its called fizzlebar and i dont know where it came from, and i dont want it. How can I get rid of it? Can anyone tell me how I can find what programs run on start up and how do I stop any that I dont want?. How do i enable java as my browser doesn't appear to use it. And finally, how do I activate the firewall in XP? I'm sure these questions have been asked before but I cant remember the answers.

I think it is similar to mysearchbar which can be removed in add/remove programs.

livewire 11:24 27 Jun 04

For many you could run a forum search.

Firstly, Do a google search and install these programs:

Now open ad-aware and do a full system scan remove anything that it finds.

To determine what programs run at start-up use the following command which you can type in the run box.

Start>Run and type MSCONFIG

now go to the start-up tab and uncheck anything you want to be removed from the start-up process.

mikel1878 11:26 27 Jun 04

bluddy hell, you lot were quick off the mark. Thanx again

mikel1878 11:32 27 Jun 04

the fizzle bar can't be removed from Add/Remove programs as it doesn't show there. I ran msconfig but how do I know what can be unchecked? Will I do any damage if I uncheck any? There is updreg, qttask, realshed, rztymof, E_S101C2, mmtask, twoeih, BTTray, and Nerocheck which mean nothing to me. The others I can identify OK.

Totally-braindead 11:40 27 Jun 04

Have a look at click here this tells you what the things are and what you can safely disable, before you muck about with this though I suggest you do as livewire has suggested and install adaware and spyware guard run them, restart your computer and see what happens. They will probably solve your problem.

VoG II 11:40 27 Jun 04

click here and scroll down to How do I remove the toolbar

mikel1878 11:56 27 Jun 04

Thanx totally and VoG. I unchecked some boxes before your posts and when I restarted windows, I got a bollocking from the computer! It told me to recheck the boxes and click start up in normal mode or something. Everything is back as it was. Now I'm going to read the article that you posted and go from there. Still no advice about the firewall and java questions. Anybody know?

VoG II 11:59 27 Jun 04

Firewall - go into Help and Support, type firewall into the search box and click the green arrow.

To install Java click here

Graham ® 12:08 27 Jun 04

Sygate firewall is better than XPs. Free for personal use click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…