novice to computers

steve3168 16:49 19 Nov 03

I would like to buy a computer for gaming and digital photography but Im baffled by processor speeds. I have been told that an athlon xp processor is the best and fastest for games but I have also read that an Athlon xp 3.2 Ghz has a processor speed of 2.2Ghz which is 1Ghz slower than a pentium 4

johnnyrocker 16:58 19 Nov 03

depending on your budget click here i am not a gamer but bought a modified gamer which i am very happy with

johnny.

canard 17:03 19 Nov 03

PCs for gaming can't be too fast. Get for a super graphics card as this will be great for both games and photography. Also think what you're going to do with your pics.You'd probably want to save lots of them to CD so go for a good CDwriter. AND if your enthusiasm spreads you may reach the point of making DVDs which would need a DVD writer.Online gaming is better with an ethernet card so go for that too. Windows XP has a good film making programme which crops up on magcover discs for very little and it may be part of the XP setup. You'll get lots more advice from PCA readers!

Jester2K II 17:22 19 Nov 03

To clarify the processor speed thingy.

An AMD XP 3200 may run at something like 2.2 MHz BUT AMD claim it caries out work at the equivalent speed to a 3.2 GHz Intel processor (hence AMD call it a 3200)

An AMD XP processor will give you "more bang for your buck"

froggg 18:45 19 Nov 03

amd chips run hotter,hence more fan noise.p4 800fsb chips have hyperthreading-ie can do 2 things at once(windows 'sees' 2 chips)
BTW they o/c very well!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…