Noton versus Windows XP

GBPilot 19:28 23 Apr 06

Which do you advise? Windows Firewall and Norton Antivirus (with Iternet Worm Protection turned off) or, All Norton Antivirus on with Windows Firewall turned off? Also is there a place for Microsoft's Spyware?

Interested in your ideas.

Gordon Baynes

sunny staines 19:31 23 Apr 06

I use norton firewall & AV. But Microsoft Defended plus several other spyware programs

sunny staines 19:32 23 Apr 06

not "but" should read and

pennyben 19:38 23 Apr 06

As a lot of questions it 'depends'. Windows FW is very good at hiding your PC, try some of the online testing progs, but does not check outgoing data.

I think most people are a little paranoid so a software FW is probably a good idea. A number of free ones exist that are very good. My recent favourite is NetVeda.

click here

which is good and is light on resources.

Norton has a lot of critics but if you are happy with it fine.

Try some FW's and choose the one you are happy with. Have a look at the link below.

click here

The Spires 23:29 23 Apr 06

pennyben, the firewall review & leak test link is interesting, the fact that the free Jetico firewall scored so well was especially surprising. I have played around with quite a few firewalls in the last year or so (just for fun really) & will try the Jetico out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…