Noticing Heavy Slowdowns

JāмΞŝ 22:55 31 Mar 03

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to WinXP Home from Win98, and I'm experiencing some intermittent slowdowns, for example if I have 2 or 3 explorer/IE etc windows open and try to switch between them, my PC will grind to a halt for anything up to about 10 seconds or one of the programs/windows will "stop responding". I have 256mb RAM, AthlonXP 1800+, 40gb HDD and background programs are - AVG, MSN, ZoneAlarm.

I also notice sometimes one the windows are switching the freeze and the contents are completly white for a few seconds, also the tack bar sometimes becomes white in places where windows overlap it or dialogue boxes appear.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Cheers,

James.

woodchip 23:07 31 Mar 03

Too many prog running on your comp plus you have probably loaded you drive with software

JāмΞŝ 23:07 31 Mar 03

bump

JāмΞŝ 23:10 31 Mar 03

I dont think so, the background programs take minimal memory and even with say 3 IE windows open I'm only using 60% of the RAM. My HDD is defragged regularly and is no more cluttered than it was with Win98 (which I had no slowdowns with).

James.

JāмΞŝ 23:47 31 Mar 03

^bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…