//some 3rd party need geo

Nothing will open? Help!

kult 08:22 25 Mar 04

Hi all

My machine began to show strange behaviour with outlook express getting starnge e-mail rejections from people i've never sent e-mails to before.

I updated the virus checker and re-booted the machine, I was goin' to run a scan but now the machine won't let me run any applications at all.

I'm guessing its a virus, but what type of virus as I can't use norton to find it as it won't work and how would any one suggest I deal with it.

Cheers

xania 09:04 25 Mar 04

You should be able to load your original Norton CD once you've load windows in safe mode or in DOS dependant upon your OS and any boot-up floppy you have available. The CD will then tell you how to remove viruses from where you are.

temp003 09:18 25 Mar 04

What operating system do you use?

If you can't run any applications, or any .exe file, a number of viruses can do this, one of which is the Sircam virus.

When you double click an .exe file, or try to start any program, what error message do you get?

Gongoozler 09:19 25 Mar 04

Email rejections from people you haven't emailed to is due to virus activity on other peoples computers rather than yours. What happens is that the virus lifts information from the person's address book and then sends out infected emails in the name of those addresses. What you then get is the notification of rejection of some of those emails. There's nothing you can do about it other than to change your email address, and advise all your contacts to keep up-to-date antivirus software on their computers.

kult 09:53 25 Mar 04

The os is Windows XP.

I don't get any error messages it just won't let me open anything.

arricarry 10:48 25 Mar 04

Have you looked in msconfig to see if all your startups are disabled or not.

Gongoozler 11:11 25 Mar 04

Will your computer let you do a system restore to before the infection?

xania 15:42 25 Mar 04

Have you tried inserting your Norton CD and letting it autorun?

temp003 02:13 26 Mar 04

If system restore doesn't work, and you can't do any virus scan, [email protected]" title="http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]" TARGET="_new">click here and scroll down to the section "To edit the registry".

The page is for the Sircam virus. Yours may be another virus. But if you have verified that you cannot run any .exe file, then the likelihood is your registry setting for running exe files have been changed, and the instructions on that page for editing the registry back to its original will still work.

What you need to do is to open a command prompt by using command.com (not cmd.exe), copy regedit.exe as regedit.com, start regedit.com, and edit the registry key HKEY Classes Root\exefile\shell\open\command to its original form. The Symantec page gives very clear, step by step instructions.

The instructions will apply up to editing the above key. The remaining steps may not apply, so stop if you don't find the reference to sircam in the registry.

After editing the exefile\open\command key, you should be able (at least before your next restart) to run exe files. Disable XP's System Restore first. Then run your virus scan to remove any viruses.

If you need further help, post back.

temp003 02:17 26 Mar 04

Sorry, the link to the Symantec page should be click here

Belatucadrus 10:32 26 Mar 04

click here for an old posting on what looks to be the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…