Nothing on laptop screen

s99Raj 20:08 21 Mar 09

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop.
When I switch it on, nothing at all appears on the screen. However, if I connect an external monitor to it, XP starts up as normal, but after the normal Windows XP rolling bar, the monitor says "Video Mode Not Supported". It APPEARS to continue to start up normally.

On the laptop, keys don't appear to have any effect. Pressing FN Brightness has no effect. FN CRT/LCD has no effect. Trying to get into the BIOS by pressing F2 at startup has no effect.

What could be wrong?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:34 21 Mar 09

Plug in monitor and once booted reset the graphic settings to suit the TFT screen, looks as if the refresh rate is set too high set down to 60hz and retry.

s99Raj 21:53 21 Mar 09

The problem is, the external monitor displays "Video Mode Not Supported" before the full boot-up, i.e. before the usual "Welcome" screen and desktop appearing, so I can't reset any graphics settings.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:03 21 Mar 09

Boot to safemode and reset the graphics refresh rate

s99Raj 23:00 21 Mar 09

After pressing F8 I can get to the screen which gives me the options of choosing Safe Mode etc. but then for some reason the up/down arrow keys have no effect, so I can't choose Safe Mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:21 21 Mar 09

If you ave an XP Cd try a repair

s99Raj 23:36 21 Mar 09

OK - I've managed to get into Safe Mode by using an external USB keyboard and mouse.

Now when I go to change the Refresh Rate there's no option. I can use only the default refresh rate.

Once I'm in Safe Mode, what else can I do? I've tried a repair with the XP CD, but my only display comes up on the external monitor and not on the laptop's monitor.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:12 22 Mar 09

Uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers.

After that it may be a faulty invertor or backlight on the TFT screen.

s99Raj 09:47 22 Mar 09

What/Where is the invertor?

s99Raj 09:49 22 Mar 09

Reinstalling the graphics drivers didn't do the trick.

Guess the back light must be gone.

Thanks for your help Fruit Bat.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:54 22 Mar 09

click here
inverter

backlight click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…