nothing happens when I boot up

pookie 12:23 16 Sep 03

Hi

Work has a really old pc that's not working and they wanted me to look at. It's a compaq deskpro with celeron processor.

When I plug in power cable and press the start button on the tower it doesn't make any sounds from psu or fans. nothing seems to happen except a small green light comes on on the mobo. No signal comes up on the monitor.

I've made sure that all connectors are in tight, and they seems to be.

To you does it sound like the psu has packed up? or any other advice?

Many thanks

P

pookie 13:40 16 Sep 03

refresh :-)

Tog 13:43 16 Sep 03

PSU, motherboard or the front panel connections seem favourite.

johnbhoy 14:24 16 Sep 03

Pookie - Try unplugging hard drive cable and power from hard drive, same for floppy drive and CDROM if present. Remove any cards in the system except the video card if present. Make sure memory is seated correctly, then try and boot and see what happens, if you get the PC to boot, connect each card and try again, then hard drive, floppy drive etc.

If no boot, try different memory and video card, if still nothing, motherboard or PSU would be your best bet as to nature of problem.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

pookie 15:22 16 Sep 03

thanks for replies

still nothing happening - i've put it down as a lost cause

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…