NotePad unexpectedly opening files like *.key

Bunts 16:21 06 Feb 06

I have just recently installed Windows XP (Home Edition).

As I understand it, when executing a filename *.key that it should put the contents (code) automatically in the registry? Instead the file is opened up in NotePad.

On the PC Advisor December 2005 DVD there is a program called CARTOONIST 1.1 and a *.key file that has the registration code. I am unable to enter this code automatically using the *.key file.

Something similar happened last week when inserting an autorun disk. Instead of it bringing up a menu all I got was NotePad displaying the code. Yet when putting in another CD with autorun it appeared to workd fine.

Any ideas on how to correct this?

Bunts

dms05 16:49 06 Feb 06

Find the *.key file in Windows Explorer. Right click on it - two options are offered on *.key:
(i)Open with Notebook
(ii) Registery

dms05 17:04 06 Feb 06

Forgot to say you go to Open With after the Right Click. You can then take the option 'choose program' and select 'always use' after slecting the option you'd prefer to have by default.

Bunts 18:40 06 Feb 06

Unfortunately I only have one RECOMMENDED option offered:
Open with NotePad.

OTHER Programs listed don't mention REGISTRY.

I know I can click on BROWSE but haven't found the filename for REGISTRY. Any more ideas?

Bunts

VoG II 19:29 06 Feb 06

Set it to open with C:\windows\regedit.exe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…