Notepad items not in alphabetical order

JanetO 11:39 02 Dec 08

For some reason in the last few days when I open notepad all the items listed in My Docs aren't in alphabetical order any longer. If I view the items via My Docs it's okay. Any ideas?

scotty 12:27 02 Dec 08

There is an icon called view menu. From this, select details. This will display headers for file name, size, type date modified etc.. Click on name to sort by name (click again to invert selection). I am guessing that you are currently sorting by date.

JanetO 09:04 03 Dec 08

Thanks, scotty, but under the view menu there is only the choices of Thumbs, Tiles, Icons, List and Details, but not name and unless I'm missing something there is no other option to change order. Notepad is v 5.1.

FatboySlim71 10:11 03 Dec 08

The view menu Scotty is referring to can be seen if you go into My Docs folder. I can see it in mine, I am running Vista but I expect it to be the same or similar in XP.

DieSse 10:23 03 Dec 08

Open Notepad - Click View - Click Details

Now you'll see a list with the file heading Name.

Click Name it'll sort them alphabetically - click Name again it'll reverse the alphabetical order.

JanetO 14:15 03 Dec 08

Thanks DieSsse but in my Notepad 'View' only brings up Status Bar which is greyed out.

scotty 15:33 03 Dec 08

Janet,

I think you mis-read my original instructions. Try these steps:

Open Notepad;

Click File and select Open;

In View Menu select Details;

Now you see the headers at the top of the file list.

Click on header "Name" to sort by file name.

DieSse 18:11 03 Dec 08

Yup - and just to confuse you I left a step out - sorry!

JanetO 09:04 04 Dec 08

That did it. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…