Notepad gobbledy gook

slydog 11:25 20 Jan 03
  slydog 11:25 20 Jan 03

Ive got a strange problem developed which I thought might be Virus, but have scanned PC off and online which indicated 0 viruses. However when I open a .txt doc in notepad it looks OK, but as soon as I scroll up or down the document, the screen rewrites the new text over the existing. Resulting in totally unreadable black blobs after only a few movements of the cursor.

Anyone got any ideas what may be causing this. My PC is running WIN 98.

Cheers

Tog 11:54 20 Jan 03

Have you tried recopying the notepad.exe file onto your PC?

slydog 13:44 20 Jan 03

No, but it's a good idea I'll giv it a try this evening

slydog 00:18 21 Jan 03

Nope deleting and copying a new notepad exe had no effect whatsoever. Spooky thing is this i've seen this before somwhere and I can't for the life of me remember what the solution was. Couldnt be the carnage trail of a virus could it despite my PC checking clean I have been attacked recently, thought I'd dodged them but I did find an *.shs file recently that my AV flagged up, but could find none of the usual file changes in my registry also was attacked by bugbear two weeks ago but again didn't open it and PC checked clean after an internet scan.

Cheers for any ideas - puzzled

VoG™ 00:21 21 Jan 03

Try Start, Run, type

SFC /SCANNOW

and have your Windows disk to hand.

jazzypop 00:28 21 Jan 03

It may just be a corrupted font. To check, try changing the default font used by Notepad (Under the Edit menu, I think, in W98).

Are you using a mouse with a scroll wheel? If so, try re-installing the mouse software.

slydog 01:47 21 Jan 03

Cheers guys I'll try it.

DieSse 01:57 21 Jan 03

Could also be a display driver problem.

slydog 02:03 21 Jan 03

DOH! still no go. I am using a scroll mouse but it's a USB job - no software, tried changing the font - exactly the same still overwrites. Tried running sfc /scannow get error message 'line parameter missing'. Hope I'm not trying your patience as well.

cheers

Kyomii 03:49 21 Jan 03

Just type sfc in the run box for Win 98 :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…