Notepad connects to home network but cannot browse

David-235429 16:49 17 Mar 07

Hi

We have a laptop that we've previously used to connect to our wireless network and although it shows its connected to the network it wont load any web pages. Any ideas?

Many thanks

dms05 21:42 17 Mar 07

Been connected to the WiFi doesn't mean you are connected to the Network. If you are using XP's WiFi Manager then make sure you have selected your Network (and not a neighbours) and enter the WEP encryption key (if set) when requested to do so.

David-235429 11:46 29 Mar 07

Really lost with this !!

I am connected to our home network, signal strength is superb, speed 54.0 Mps but cannot browse the net as every web site refuses to load and I just get an error message.

Not sure if its McAfee but when i tried to uninstall McAfee it just seemed to hang after 5 mins so gave up uninstalling it !!

Any help most appreciated

recap 15:40 29 Mar 07

I think dms05 has got confused with your wording DavidinMK. When you say "shows its connected to the network" I presume you mean the Internet?

If this is the case check your firewall settings are set to allow traffic, also check McAfee settings for the same.

If you have the McAfee icon in the systray (next to clock) right click this and select Disable. This may determine if it is McAfee that is the problem.

David-235429 16:05 29 Mar 07

Have uninstalled McAfee and checked internet settings and everything seems normal. the error message i get when I try to laod a web page is: Downloading from site:res://WINDOWS\system32\shdock.dll/dnerror.htm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…