Notebooks and wireless broadband

ivesy 14:38 27 Mar 05

I'm thinking of buying a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo V2020 notebook. I already have a home PC with a Wanadoo broadband connection and was wondering how easy it would be for the notebook to use this connection? In the spec. it says it has a wireless NIC Intel Pro/ wirelss 2200BG. I'm not entirely sure what this is. My question is, do I need to buy anything else to achieve a connection to Broadband without the need to connect with cables or more hardware? Any help would be appreciated.

FarmDriver 18:42 27 Mar 05

Do you already have a "Live box" from Wanadoo? This allows you to have a wireless connection to your p.c as well as your new laptop, if you get one. I have one and it works well for the p.c but the signal strength to my new Dell laptop is very sensative to where I am in the house. Before I bought the Dell I phoned Wanadoo to make sure the wireless card that came with it was suitable. I think as long as it does 802.11g it should be fine.

ivesy 19:46 27 Mar 05

Cheers for the reply Farmdriver, I don't have a live box. Do I get one from Wanadoo? All I have is a Speedtouch Modem.

FarmDriver 22:25 27 Mar 05

Your best bet is to have a look at the Wanadoo website, under the link for broadband you should find some information about the livebox. It costs about £80 and comes with one USB adapter to allow you to connect your p.c. A wireless p.c just connects without a card once it is set up. If you have any questions it is worth phoning the special number for livebox enquiries. The only other thing to consider before going down this route is that the livebox can only be used with Wanadoo, where as other wireless routers can be used with different ISP's. I went with the livebox as I have never had any trouble with Wanadoo. If you have any more questions for me just post them here and I will try my best to answer them!

Strawballs 00:07 28 Mar 05

If that livebox is £80 it would be cheaper to by a wireless router or do a adhock wireless connection click here

ivesy 15:39 28 Mar 05

Thanks for the replies. If I use a Wireless 54mbps 11g Compact Usb Adapter as advertised on ebuyer for about £26 does this mean I just plug that into a spare USB port on the desktop PC or is there more to it than that? the laptop has a wireless has as 2200BG sorry I must sound really dim!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…