notebooks and the internet

Skimbleshanks 14:06 28 Nov 04

Have just bought a laptop and want to know if I can access the internet without a phone line of anysort.

Have been told about wireless modems (what are they)? and prepaid internet service cards that can (apparently) be slotted into the side of the laptop.

As I am completely ignorant of all these things can someone offer me some advice on the best option?

Thanks

TomJerry 15:14 28 Nov 04

there are two ways to do this.

(1) access internet via mobile phone network, use so called GPRS technology (2.5G, not 3G technology yet), Vodaphone sell a few package cost monthly about £100 +, speed is almost as fast as broadband.

(2) acess wirelessly via a wireless "Hotspot" nearby (30 meters) if your laptop is wireless ready, there are many hot spot around the county for example most Starbuk coffee, but cost is high as well, maybe 5 pounds a hour, speed is the same as broadband

A cheaper, but slower method (25% speed of normal dial up) is to dial a normal dial up service using your mobile phone if your mobile phone has build data modem (many have) and both your mobile and laptop have either infra-red or bluetooth connection.

Skimbleshanks 17:09 28 Nov 04

Thanks for that. Cost sounds rather prohibitive on the first option!

As I am living in a B&B each week I don't think I'll be near a hotspot!

I guess I'll just have to eschew the internet until I get home to my PC each weekend!

Diodorus Siculus 17:14 28 Nov 04

Intel's Hotspot Finder - Wi-Fi Hotspots - Wireless Hotspots - Worldwide Hotspot Directory
click here

Skimbleshanks 17:19 28 Nov 04

Thanks for that - if push comes to shove I can use one of the ones that are listed near where I'll be based. I'll have to be circumspect tho' - £5 an hour is a lot!

Diodorus Siculus 17:21 28 Nov 04

Expensive - yes! But many companies do decent mothly rates.

A regular internet cafe is probably your best bet when you want to connect.

Skimbleshanks 19:02 28 Nov 04

Thanks for that - I'll check out the rates, though I'll probably opt for an internet cafe!

Thanks everyone

TomJerry 20:12 28 Nov 04

you can use dial up to dial into a 0800/0808 isp service, cost is acceptable, half pence a minute, you can buy a prepaid card, just like pay as you go mobile, £10 pass give you 2000 minutes and valid for 90 days click here. I used this service before, it is reliable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…