Notebook -v- Desktop for home

lindy 12:22 26 Jan 03

I already have 3 computers 1 for Me, my husband and my daughter. However my daughter's was the first I bought and really needs replaced and I thought of buying a laptop for me and give her my desktop.

The reason I wanted a notebook is cos it means I don't have to go to a special room to do my computing and can still sit in the lounge with my family.

I need to know if it's feasible to replace my desktop and I'm also worried about the fact that I can't upgrade the notebook myself by opening the case etc. I'm also led to believe that they aren't as reliable and need more repairs etc. Is this correct?

Can anyone advise me? thanks. Bodylin

Forum Editor 12:40 26 Jan 03

are generally very reliable, and every bit as good as a desktop, with a few caveats..........

1. The enemy of most laptops is heat, and you should guard against sitting with it (you've guessed it) on your lap. This can restrict the cooling flow of air under the casing, and in my experience can lead to overheating in some cases.

2. The keyboard will be smaller, and not quite as easy as a desktop keyboard to use. If you are in the habit of typing lots of text you will find a laptop slightly more tiring to use over a long period.

3. As you have said, you'll not be able to do much by way of upgrading - apart from adding RAM, which is usually very easy - although you shouldn't need to do much anyway.

4. It's easier to damage a laptop by dropping or knocking it, and if you make it your main machine you'll have to take great care with it - a damaged hard drive is no fun if you have no other machine.

Having said all that, more and more people are using laptops as their main machine. I use mine a lot, and in fact I'm typing this on it. I use it to edit the forum via a wireless network when I'm in my home office, and in the summer it's good tom be able to sit in the garden and work on the forum. I have owned many laptops over the years, and today's models are light years in advance of the older machines. A good laptop will easily do everything a desktop can do, and the portability makes it a joy. Go ahead with your plan - provided you pick the right machine (and accept that it will cost a good bit more than the equivalent desktop) you'll have no regrets. Well cared for, your laptop will last as long as a desktop, but be prepared to operate it on the mains transformer a lot - battery life isn't anything to write home about.

two00lbwaster 12:54 26 Jan 03

in addition to fe's comments there are many things you can do which solve the above nuances.

1. when buyiong your laptop then check out to see what ports it has and buy a good mouse and keyboard combination i suggest a wireless keyboard and mouse combo and if you can a wireless optical mouse.

2. get some additional insurenece on the laptop something that covers the laptop when you leave the house.

3. mobile chips will help with the heat problem but as above i wouldnt suggest resting them on your lap but there are some innovitive solutions out there to allow you to keep it above you lap, but if you have a wireless keyboard then you wont be resting the laptop on your lap and you just have to make sure your not blocking the airflow .

3. also in addition to the insurenece a usb harddrive enclosure and a harddrive to copy the hard disk for backup purposes or a copy of drive image should do the trick

two00lbwaster 12:59 26 Jan 03

also on fe's last comment about battery life then under heavy strain this is true but you normally get a good 2-3 hrs in word and similar tasks which dont require very much processing power

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…