Notebook hardrive interface types

keverne 23:02 04 Feb 05

I'm going to have to replace my Toshiba Tecra S1 notebook's hard drive because of the increasing number of bad sectors.

Looking at the specification of the failing MK 4021GAS drive I'm told that it's 'ATA-2/3/4/5' supported.

However when I browse ebuyer for a replacement I can only find those listed as ATA-100 or ATA-133.

Could someone please take the time to explain the differences and what I really need.

FelixTCat 23:33 04 Feb 05

Those numbers are the PIO modes. ATA-100 is PIO Mode 4 and ATA-133 is PIO Mode 5. These modes have been effectively overcome by DMA (direct memory addressing) which is the mode used by most sytems now.

What is much more important for you is the drive rotation speed. This is the real determining factor in how fast your data will transfer to and from the disk. The best drives have a rotation speed of 7200 rpm, the next level is 5400 rpm and the slowest are 4200 rpm. Bigger cache is better than smaller cache, but the difference is not really significant for most purposes.

Generally, higher capacity drives are cheaper per gigabyte than smaller drives, but how large a drive you get depends on your requirements.

keverne 08:10 05 Feb 05

Thank you for that. Much appreciated.

FelixTCat 10:05 05 Feb 05

You're welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…