notebook graphics

rickilambert 12:15 02 Sep 07

i really need to upgrade the graphics in my notebook, but i have been told that this cant be done? is this true?and if not how can it be upgraded

thanks

Belatucadrus 12:25 02 Sep 07

Probably true, most notebooks graphics chips are built into the MOBO and can't be changed. There are an extremely rare few where upgrades are technically possible, but as I've never seen anybody stock the upgrades even there it's largely academic.
Some laptops may permit more RAM to be allocated to graphics use in BIOS settings, have a look at yours, if it can be done it may be worth adding more RAM and tweaking the settings.
What notebook have you got ?

martjc 12:29 02 Sep 07

...and I mean most! There are very,very few notebooks around which have replaceable video cards. Even then, you'd be very lucky to find the exact card for your machine.

Read this: click here

rickilambert 12:30 02 Sep 07

i have a compaq presario v6000

1.60 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo
120gb hdd
2gb ram

Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)
Generic PnP Monitor (15.4"vis) graphics

hope that helps

(pretty good specs but not for playing games as the graphics card is awful lol)

martjc 12:36 02 Sep 07

...but as betalucadrus says. it seems the only option for you is to assign extra ram to the graphics.

rickilambert 12:38 02 Sep 07

ok, ill give it a go, then i shall come back and let you no if i was succesfull, is that ok?

rickilambert 13:10 02 Sep 07

ok, well that didnt work, do you think (seing as i have had the laptop for around 5 months) that if i took it back to pcworld and explaine dthe situation id have a case for exchange? thanks

Belatucadrus 18:16 02 Sep 07

No, the machine isn't faulty and has apparently done the job for five months.
The only chance you would have had was if you were sold the notebook as suitable to perform a particular function that you specified to a salesman and it proved unsuitable and as such unfit for purpose. But you'd have been able to spot that from day one, after five months you haven't got a leg to stand on.

express slot?
click here

rickilambert 19:59 02 Sep 07

thanks peeps, raven that was a quality answer, i knew there would be a solution, even if its to be a temporary one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…