Notebook display resolution...?

andy@ 12:32 12 Oct 06

Please could someone explain how different max. resolutions on notebook displays 'work'?

I've been advised that for image editing to try to go for something >1280x800, & so I was thinking of a Dell with display res 1680x1024.

Is a res of 1900x more 'suitable' for 17" than 15.4", or is it just that the larger 17" screen makes this res more useful/easier to see/less small.

Or, for 15.4", is the highest res. always 'better'...?

Andy

Jackcoms 12:40 12 Oct 06

I've always regarded monitor resolutions as being what's most suitable for your eyesight and your personal 'comfort zone' when staring at a screen for long periods.

Nothing more, nothing less.

andy@ 12:56 12 Oct 06

True. I guess I was wondering that for a 15.4" screen, even if someone has 20:20 vision - would a res of 1900x be wasted because of everything being too small? ( The 1900x option is ~ £40 more.) I just don't have a feel for how important a relative max res. of 1900x or 1680x, for image editing, on a 15.4" screen is really?

Andy

vinnyT 13:17 12 Oct 06

The best solution would be to go to pcworld (or other pc store) and look at the resolutions you are interested in in situ. This way you can judge for yourself which will be best for your eyesight.

Hope this helps.

DieSse 14:37 12 Oct 06

Notebook displays are always TFT, and the best resolution is always the native resolution.

TFT displays are actually constructed with an array of light emitting transistors. A 17" non-widescreen display typically has a matrix of 1280x1024 triads of transistors (triad = 3 transistors, one for each colour in the "dot").

The native resolution is where the display resolution matches the manufactured array size. Any msimatching of sizes tends to produce undesireable effects which mar the clarity of the display a little. Some displays are better than others at coping with the mismatch.

Some of the higher end models do have very high native resolutions, and these are very sharp - I've seen a Dell laptop like this, and the display was very clear indeed. They would be very suitable for imaging work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017