not a valid win32 application

admas 14:42 07 Jan 08

I was installing XP alongside Win98 as a dual-boot system. Both OS were working fine. I downloaded OpticPro_600p.zip from Driverguide to install my parallel port scanner Plustek OpticPro 4831p. The installation went smoothly and required rebooting. After rebooting I have been unable to run any program - I get the message 'X is not a valid win32 application' including notepad, msconfig etc. When I tried to shut down, it said 'You do not have permission to shut down this computer'. I had set it up as a single user with no log-on screen, with no password, as no-one else uses my computer. Also had system restore turned off!
I scanned the OpticPro_600p.zip file with AVG free from my Win98 partition and it was clear.
I rebooted XP in safe mode and uninstalled the scanner driver but still have the same problem. I can run some programs in safe mode. Any idea as to how I can retrieve my XP installation?

brundle 15:17 07 Jan 08

This might help; click here
and/or
click here
(Specifically the .bat file on that page)
"You can download a BAT file (zipped) that will restore all of the "default" associations that XP ships with. It will not restore those file associations created by 3rd party applications. "

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…