Not sure on New Graphics Card specs

russmini 21:08 23 Nov 10

Need a bit of help choosing a new graphics card. The one that came with my Dell when i bought it has given up the ghost, all works, but has yellow lines vertically on the screen, so for now, i've taken it out and running on the the integrated 'card'.

What i'm not sure on is all the specs etc.

Mine was a nVidia Geforce 8800GT.

I don't game or anything major graphics wise, but would like something better than standard, that is good with video, etc. Would also like 2 outputs, so i can hook my telly up to it, to enable video viewing on big screen.

I think it's PCI-E

Any help very greatfully received.

Thank You.

GaT7 21:47 23 Nov 10

If you're sure it was a 8800GT, then it will be PCI-E indeed.

I would suggest one of these for £25-35 delivered, which have 3 types of connectors: VGA, DVI & HDMI ports, & are also passively-cooled (fanless) so don't generate any noise:

HD 4350 click here / click here

HD 5450 click here / click here

If you prefer Amazon, then click here & click here

With HDMI you can also hook-up the latest LCD TVs/monitors that have this interface too. G

herbie53 21:50 23 Nov 10

Hi there, if you're not gaming then what you already had was adequate for HD video and they can be had pretty cheaply on eBay: click here

Just make sure you get the right inputs for the TV and your PC monitor - DVI, VGA, or HDMI.
My 8800GT has 2 DVI ports but came with a DVI>VGA adaptor.

herbie53 21:52 23 Nov 10

OK then beat me to it there Crossbow. :D

GaT7 21:58 23 Nov 10

Yes, as no taxing 3D games, I suggested something lighter on the PSU & eardrums, including lower heat production :-), G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac