Not Responding

Abel 18:02 25 Jan 11

XP SP3, 200 GB HDD, 1.5 GB Memory.

Quite often I’m getting a message ‘Not Responding’ but after a little while the website or application fires-op. Can anyone suggest a reason for this please?

Abel

birdface 18:11 25 Jan 11

Go to command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns and then press enter on your keyboard.
it should tell you DNS Cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if it makes any difference.

Abel 18:18 25 Jan 11

Thanks buteman! How do I get to the command propmp? Is that Start/Run etc?

Abel

GaT7 18:21 25 Jan 11

Yes, that's right.

Please note that ipconfig /flushdns , has a single space between the g & the forward slash. G

GaT7 18:23 25 Jan 11

If no joy with that, try a SFC scan - to do this:

Start > Run > type sfc /scannow , & press OK.

Please note there's a single space between sfc & the forward slash, so: sfc[single space]/scannow

You may need to place your original XP install disc in the optical drive. G

Abel 18:30 25 Jan 11

I've now followed buteman's advice but before I can get to grips with scannow I've got to go, dearly beloved is calling me for dinner.

Abel

Abel 20:27 25 Jan 11

I've just now run scannow. I shall leave this thread open for a day or so and if the dreaded 'Not Responding' returns I'll post back otherwise, I'll tick the 'Resolved' box.
Thank you both for your advice.

Abel

GaT7 20:50 25 Jan 11

Did it either help? Sorry but you didn't say. G

Abel 20:57 25 Jan 11

Crossbow7 the problem was only happening intermittently so I've no idea yet. All I can say is that if the problem goes away I'll post accordingly and click 'Resolved'

woodchip 21:15 25 Jan 11

You may have too many background programs running. These suck the life out of your PC resources

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced