Not recognizing Internall HDD

bean_jd 23:59 27 Jul 06

I've got an old Dell Laptop here (a Latitude CPX, if that helps), and I've got a problem during startup. The computer is not recognizing the internal HDD as being a boot device, let alone being present at all. After the BIOS is loaded, an error messages comes onscreen saying : "Primary hard disk drive 0 not found". Any ideas on how I can solve this? The laptop was running smoothly only hours ago, quite fine actually. Any help would be appreciated.

Jak_1 00:20 28 Jul 06

Could be any of a few things; a dead drive, power lead failure/loose/become detached or the ide cable. Have you cheched the bios to see if it is recognised there?

bean_jd 00:23 28 Jul 06

It isn't showing up in the BIOS at all. I don't think the drive is dead, I was actually using it a few hours ago. Could it be a power failure? It wasn't jarred or anything, or left on for any length of time.

terryf 00:29 28 Jul 06

Can you access the hd manufacturers website and download test tools that will fit on a floppy or cd and boot from there. this will test your hd.

Jak_1 00:36 28 Jul 06

What os is being used?

bean_jd 00:38 28 Jul 06

Windows 2000 is installed at the moment. I can't do a HDD test because the programs the Manufacturer is offering are too big to fit on a floppy, and are used when actually in the OS.

bean_jd 00:39 28 Jul 06

Actually, that's not true, nevermind. I have to go at the moment, but I'll be back later on to try and tackle the problem. Thanks for the help.

bean_jd 05:28 28 Jul 06

Well, the disk analysis programs aren't working on my desktop, so scratch that idea. Any other ideas? Do you think I should open it up and check the hardware?

terryf 09:42 28 Jul 06

I think you may not have the right mfr progs, the ones I use boot up from the CD and don't use the PC OS at all, who made your hd?

bean_jd 15:28 28 Jul 06

It's an old IBM Travelstar 10 GB hard drive. I went to the IBM site and was redirected to the Hitachi site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…