Not Recognising 40gb Usb Hard Drive

mulva42 16:26 13 Nov 03

I have tried to connect a extrenal Super Slim 2.5"40 gig Usb H/D.
But my O/S won't pick it up,I am running Windows 2000 Pro so i shouldn't need a driver,A driver's disk was included in the pack so i tried any-way but still won't work.the H/D is off a working System.
I have a 64Mb usb key which works fine in the pc.

TheTerminator 16:34 13 Nov 03

i dropped my hd today at work, and it stopped working. Giving it a squeeze (!) around the outside of the case has brought it back to life, as has propping it up at an angle - long enough to back up my work anyway.

By the way, the problem i had at first was not enough power to my usb drive - it runs off a laptop, and for it to run, I need to plug the usb lead into the usb drive - AND - another end into the monitor port on my laptop - i presume it is a a power problem. This is the only reason I can think of...
However on other laptops and all PCs I don't need to worry about plugging the monitor port in - there is obviously enough power to run the drive by itself.

Hope that helps

mulva42 16:41 13 Nov 03

Yes i understand about the power, My cable has a usb con and a serial con which i put into my keyboard,I am getting a Red light which means searching H/D and then goes Green which i belive is the power.

Diemmess 18:30 13 Nov 03

I too had a problem making W98SE recognise a 40Gb Amacom USB HD.

Phoned Amacom and their advice was to have Windows running first (USB HD powered up but NOT connected at the USB port)

"Hot Plug" in the USB connector. This woke Windows up at last - and it asked for the driver... etc....etc....etc. No more problems, it has worked ever since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…